Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: 9844 Information?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member leifchristensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2010
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    hello
    I have just gotten hold of a pair of 9844-8Bs, that I?ve installed in my oldest son?s room;
    do you want me to take measures?
    If so,list which ones you need and I?ll try to do it in a couple of days
    best
    Leif
    Norway

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    ........they're all in the same box/same porting.
    Herein lies the crux of the matter for me, I've seen four different porting schemes, so which goes with each model and woofer combo?

    horn-in-reflex vent
    center vertical slot
    vertical slots between each woofer/side wall
    ducted ports in upper corners

    Then there's the issue of driver offset with at least three versions:

    recessed for reflex vent
    flange flush front mounted
    recessed flange front mounted

    Last, but not least, the horn placement will in theory affect the XO to achieve the same horn down angle projection, so which XO goes with each?

    This then begs the question of how much, if any, the horn's acoustic center changes when switching to the 900 series drivers, i.e. what is the measured acoustic distance at the XO point between different small format drivers when properly mounted on an 811?

    WRT using the M19's XO, in theory it would affect the 9844's polar response enough to make it a questionable match through the critical speech BW to the M19s if sitting much off axis due to the differing horizontal power (polar) responses of tandem 12" Vs a single 15".

    Regardless, for HIFI/HT apps, best IME to tune to meet the needs of the app rather than arbitrarily using a factory tuning designed for a different specific app and now that digital XOs, time delay and EQ is price competitive with the parts cost of a pair of good passive XOs I see no good reason to bother dealing passively with these other potentially daunting issues.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    GM.... did Altec actually manufacture that many variants of the 9844? Vents ect?

    The Model 19 has the 811 placed farther back from the front baffle than the 416. I noticed that the 9844 has the 414's placed 3/4" farther back than the 811. Can I assume this is to possibly align the voice coils?

    I was hoping to use a NOS Model 19 crossover. But it appears that this may not be optimal. I suppose I can try it and see how it sounds...

    Thanks for all the information.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    You're welcome!

    Well, I've seen each variant, but in retrospect, some could have been customs since the local distributor had their own in-house design team and they typically would paint/decal them to look 'factory' if a utility cab was spec'd.

    Right, though the 9844's odd offset was done to get the downward tilt to the horn's acoustic axis whereas the M19's was probably to make it the same as the woofers, so its XO probably won't be anywhere near optimum even if you get offset right since it's optimized for the 416, not dual 414s.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by leifchristensen View Post
    hello
    I have just gotten hold of a pair of 9844-8Bs, that I?ve installed in my oldest son?s room;
    do you want me to take measures?
    If so,list which ones you need and I?ll try to do it in a couple of days
    best
    Leif
    Norway
    Greets!

    Is it like this one?: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...closures19.jpg

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member leifchristensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2010
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    no I think it had 2 round ports above each other between the woofers
    but I can check?
    best
    Leif

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by leifchristensen View Post
    no I think it had 2 round ports above each other between the woofers
    but I can check?
    best
    Leif
    Sheesh! Yet another variation. Yes, please document the particulars as best you can WRT inside dimensions, horn mounting, vent system details.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member leifchristensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2010
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9844 Information?

    ok will do first weekend
    best
    Leif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.